Potstickers
This recipe made about 42 potstickers. At the end of dinner there were 0. Definitely worth the hour or more of work. I wish that I doubled the recipe to freeze for later. Next time... By the way, with a bit of practice these do look nice and fancy. But, the more rustic potstickers that the boys did tasted just as good, just make sure you pinch them together really well so the filling doesn't come out! Here are different ways to form a potsticker: How To Make Asian Dumplings
I recommend making the Asian Slaw (recipe at end of post) with the potstickers, because you will have a lot of napa cabbage left after using just a 1/2 cup in potsticker filling.
Tofu & Vegetable Potstickers
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen, I made these eggless for Will's allergy
1/2 pound firm tofu
1/2 cup coarsely grated carrots
1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage
2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
35 to 40 small wonton wrappers (for Egg-free, I used Wei-Chuan dumpling wrappers found in the freezer in international section of grocery store. Thawed overnight in fridge)
Water (1/3 cup for steaming each batch)
Simple Dipping Sauce (mix these ingredients together)
2 tbs good Soy Sauce (I like San-J Tamari)
2 tbs water
1 tbs Rice Vinegar (not seasoned)
1 tbs Sesame Oil
Asian Slaw
Adapted from Taste of Home
5 cups shredded Napa cabbage
3 carrots, shredded
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 chopped, fresh cilantro
Dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
1 tbs light olive oil
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
salt (to taste)
Optional: Add grilled chicken, salmon, or other protein
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
I recommend making the Asian Slaw (recipe at end of post) with the potstickers, because you will have a lot of napa cabbage left after using just a 1/2 cup in potsticker filling.
Tofu & Vegetable Potstickers
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen, I made these eggless for Will's allergy
1/2 pound firm tofu
1/2 cup coarsely grated carrots
1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage
2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
35 to 40 small wonton wrappers (for Egg-free, I used Wei-Chuan dumpling wrappers found in the freezer in international section of grocery store. Thawed overnight in fridge)
Water (1/3 cup for steaming each batch)
Simple Dipping Sauce (mix these ingredients together)
2 tbs good Soy Sauce (I like San-J Tamari)
2 tbs water
1 tbs Rice Vinegar (not seasoned)
1 tbs Sesame Oil
Cut the tofu in half horizontally and lay between layers of paper towels. Place on a plate, top with another plate, and place a weight on top (a can, some books, whatever is in your kitchen). Let stand 20 minutes (I do this first and then chop the rest of the vegetables). After 20 minutes or so, cut the tofu into 1/4-inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the carrots, cabbage, red pepper, scallions, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, and pepper. Stir to combine.
To form the dumplings, remove 1 wonton wrapper from the package, covering the others with a damp cloth. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with water. Place about 1 teaspoon of the tofu mixture in the center of the wrapper. Shape as desired. Set on a plate covered with parchment paper. I had a bunch of plates ready to go, and then popped them in freezer until I was ready to cook them.
Heat a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat. Drizzle with light olive oil or vegetable oil once hot. Don't overcrowd pan, I did these in 3 batches! Add about 10-12 potstickers at a time to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, without touching or turning. After 2 minutes, add 1/3 cup water to the pan, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes. Water should be gone. Transfer to a platter (cover with foil or something) and then cook the rest, adding a bit of oil as needed. Serve with simple dipping sauce (in ingredients list above)
| Will's |
Asian Slaw
Adapted from Taste of Home
5 cups shredded Napa cabbage
3 carrots, shredded
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 chopped, fresh cilantro
Dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
1 tbs light olive oil
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
salt (to taste)
Optional: Add grilled chicken, salmon, or other protein
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.


Comments
Post a Comment